Further down the page, you’ll find some explanations regarding the key similarities and differences between the Roborock S5 Max and the iRobot Roomba i7.
But before checking out explanations regarding their design, cleaning performance, battery, and feature, here’s a table that summarizes the main technical summary sheet for these 2 robot vacuums:
Roborock S5 Max measures 14 x 11 x 5 inches and weighs 13.07 pounds. Meanwhile, the iRobot Roomba i7 measures 13.34 x 13.26 x 3.63 inches and weighs 7.44 pounds.
Cleaning Performance Comparison
Roomba i7 has a suction capacity of 1800 Pa, creating a noise level of 68 dba. Meanwhile, Roborock S5 Max has 2000 Pa suction, 60 dba noise.
+ Robot’s ability to walk:
With a cleaning area of 185 m2, Roomba i7 has a smaller cleaning area than Roborock S5 Max, with a cleaning area of 250 m2.
Thanks to the 20 mm (0.78 in) climbing ability, both of them are suitable for thicker carpets and can easily overpass a door threshold (if below 2 cm).
iRobot Roomba i7 is equipped with a dirt detection sensor. It is a system that recognizes high-traffic spots making a cleaner go over these zones a few times until it is clean
Both robots are equipped with a bunch of sensors that prevent bumping into things, falling, and keeping them at a distance of 10 mm from walls and furniture.
+ Dirt treatment:
With a 500 ml dustbin capacity, the iRobot Roomba i7 can hold a little more dirt than the Roborock S5 Max, which has a capacity of 460 ml.
Neither can automatically empty when the dirt container is full, it will stop cleaning when it needs to be emptied. The Roomba i7 will notify you when the dirt container is full. Roborock S5 Max does not.
The Roomba i7 has been designed to work with iRobot’s Auto Clean Base® technology. But then it doesn’t come with the Clean Base® Automatic Dirt Handler, so you’ll have to buy it separately.
Under the lids of both dustbins, there is a HEPA filter that makes the robot safe for people with allergies and asthma. You can remove the Roborock S5 Max filter for washing. Roomba i7’s filter is not washable, you should change the filter every three months.
+ Ability to vacuum and sweep:
Carpet boost: Both are equipped with carpet recognition sensors. When the vacuum is on the carpet, its suction power is increased to the maximum level automatically cleaning deeper.
Side brush: Both have a side brush made of rubber.
Cleaning Brush: Both are equipped with a cleaning brush that has detachable tips and is easier to clean since hair mostly gets clogged around the edges. In addition, the newest brush has 250% more bristles providing a better pickup.
Unique Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes don’t get tangled with pet hair. Brushes adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with carpets and hard floors.
+ Ability to Mop the floor
The Roborock S5 Max can do sweeping and mopping; the Roomba only sweeps.
The S5 Max has the biggest improvement in the mopping area than any other Roborock. It has the biggest water tank (290 ml vs. 150 ml), and water dripping level control which you can switch in the app.
The S5 Max water container has a precise peristaltic pump, which you can see sits on the right side of the tank. It supplies water to the robot and then makes it drip right to the mopping pad that can be attached to the bottom with a mopping cloth on. Thanks to this construction, the cloth presses down closely providing better mopping performance, and also the robot does not leak even if you shake the water tank.
With the Roborock S5 Max, you can choose the level of water dripping depending on where you need more water like the kitchen, and less in the living room. You can control it in the app. Aside from the water tank, the S5 Max has a mopping pad that provides pressure to the ground providing better mopping results.
Also, the Roborock S5 Max has no-mop zones that keep it off the carpet in mopping mode. You can use it along with no-go zones to also keep the robot off some cluttered areas of your house. When you remove mopping attachments, the no-mop zones disappear.
Overall mopping ability of the S5 Max is more extended and allows customizing more features such as water level for each room, etc.
With a battery capacity of 5200 mAh, Roborock S5 Max can operate for about 180 minutes and takes 240 minutes to fully charge. Meanwhile, Roomba i7 uses a 3300 mAh battery that can operate for about 90 minutes and takes 180 minutes to fully charge.
If both vacuums don’t finish all the work on a single charge, it will automatically return to the charging dock. Resume intends that the robot will resume from where it left off after charging is complete. This feature is perfect for large households where the robot cannot clean the entire house on a single charge
Unlike robots that don’t have a map and move randomly until the battery runs out, Roomba and Roborock navigate efficiently. It moves back and forth in straight lines methodically covering the cleaning area based on the map it generates.
Roomba i7 uses a camera sensor to map your home layout; the Roborock S5 Max uses a laser distance sensor (LDS or LIDAR). The camera suffers in dark rooms.
Roomba i7 can store 10 maps in memory, while Roborock can store only 4 maps.
+ Schedule activities
Both robot vacuums have an advanced scheduling feature. After mapping, you can divide the map into separate regions and give each region a name. With this feature, you can schedule cleaning by area, selected room cleaning, schedule, etc.
Thanks to the digital virtual wall creation feature, both robot vacuums can create no-clean zones, clean zone compartments, no-clean zones.
Digital blockers.: If there is a room that might not be ready for cleaning or a zone where you have cords, etc., you can set an unlimited amount of digital blocked areas and no-go lines. Once you have done it, the robot would not cross it. You can create a zone by drawing a rectangle or setting the tape (no-go line) on a place you don’t want the robot to cross.
Clean area With this option, you can create a rectangle on the map to make the robot work in the selected area.
The selected housekeeping completes the cleaning, it will generate a map divided into separate rooms. You can merge or split the area as you like if you don’t like the way the robot did.
Manually control it like a radio car. If you need the device to go to a specific spot, you can use the app remote control and manage its movements by sending it where you want to. Also, with the «Target Point» option you can tap on the map, and the robot will go to that place. Much easier than using the remote control.
Additionally, you can control the two robot vacuums by setting voice prompts through Amazon Alexa Support and Google Assistant Assistant.
+ Activity tracking
When the two robot vacuums have finished cleaning, you can view the results in the cleaning history.
Roomba i7 cannot be tracked in real-time on iRobot Home, you cannot see its location while the robot is vacuuming.
The Roborock S5 Max allows real-time robot tracking that you can see in the Mi Home or Roborock app. When the robot vacuum is active you can check its location using the app.
Quick Rundown Of Roborock S5 Max
- Customizable Mopping: Set the right water flow, even your preferred water flow for each room in your home, to get exactly the cleaning intensity you want.
- Effective Cleaning Every Time: Precision LiDAR navigation combined with adaptive route algorithms ensure your floor is cleaned thoroughly and efficiently every single time.
- Serious Cleaning Power: Maximum suction power of 2000Pa suction easily lifts dirt from floors, and Carpet Boost ensures every carpet gets max power. 180 minutes of non-stop cleaning can cover large homes in one single clean.
- Precision Mapping: Save up to 4-levels of maps, including individual rooms, No-Go Zones, No-Mop Zones, and Invisible Walls for total control of where and when your robot cleans.
- App and Voice Control: Control every element of your robot wherever you are from the Roborock app. Start and stop cleanups and more with the power of your voice with Amazon Alexa support.
Quick Rundown Of iRobot Roomba i7
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE AND POWERFUL PICK-UP - Pulls in stubborn dirt and messes with a Premium 3-Stage Cleaning System and 10X the Power-Lifting Suction. (Compared to the Roomba 600 series cleaning system)
- GUIDED BY SERIOUS SMARTS - With vSLAM navigation, the i7 learns the layout of your home and builds personal Smart Maps, enabling it to expertly clean and navigate in neat, efficient rows.
- VACUUMS MESSES IN THE MOMENT - Cleaning crumbs is now as easy as “Roomba, clean under the kitchen table.” A simple request to your voice assistant or via the iRobot Home app enables the i7 to clean messes for you, right when they happen.
- COMPLETE CONTROL OF YOUR CLEAN - With Smart Mapping, your robot knows your kitchen from your living room, so you can decide where it cleans and when. With Keep Out Zones, your robot knows to avoid sensitive areas like pet bowls or play areas.
- A CLEAN UNIQUE TO YOU - The Roomba i7 robot vacuum is smarter than ever, learning where and when you normally clean and suggesting personalized schedules so you can focus on everything else.