Further down the page, you’ll find some explanations regarding the key similarities and differences between the iRobot Roomba i4 and the iRobot Roomba i8.
But before checking out explanations regarding their design, cleaning performance, battery, and feature, here’s a table that summarizes the main technical summary sheet for these 2 robot vacuums:
- Design Comparison
- Cleaning Performance Comparison
- Battery Comparison
- Feature Comparison
- Quick Rundown Of iRobot Roomba i4
- Quick Rundown Of iRobot Roomba i8
- Product Videos
iRobot Roomba i4 measures 13.34 x 13.26 x 3.63 inches and weighs 12 pounds. Meanwhile, the Roomba i8 measures 15.75 x 19.63 x 16.52 inches and weighs 7.28 pounds.
Cleaning Performance Comparison
Suction Power & Noise
With a suction capacity of 1800 Pa, Roomba i4 has a noise level of 68 dba. The Roomba i8 has a suction power of 2000 Pa and a noise level of 68 dba.
Robot’s ability to walk:
Thanks to the 20 mm (0.78 in) climbing ability, both of them are suitable for thicker carpets and can easily overpass a door threshold (if below 2 cm).
Both robots are equipped with a bunch of sensors that prevent bumping into things, falling, and keeping them at a distance of 10 mm from walls and furniture.
iRobot Roomba i4 and Roomba i8 both have dirt detection sensors. It is a system that recognizes high-traffic spots making a cleaner go over these zones a few times until it is clean
Roomba i4 and Roomba i8 both have a waste bin capacity of 400 ml.
iRobot Roomba i4 and i8 cannot automatically remove dirt in the dustbin, it will stop cleaning and notify you when the trash needs to empty.
The Roomba i4 and i8 have been designed to work with iRobot’s Auto Clean Base® technology. But then it doesn’t come with the Clean Base® Automatic Dirt Handler, so you’ll have to buy it separately.
Under the lids of both dustbins, there is a HEPA filter that makes the robot safe for people with allergies and asthma. The filters of both Roomba are not removable for washing, you should change the filter every three months.
Ability to suck and sweep
Carpet boost: Roomba i4 and i8 have a sensor that can recognize carpets. When the vacuum is on the carpet, its suction power is increased to the maximum level automatically cleaning deeper.
Side brush: Both have a side brush made of rubber.
Unique Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes don’t get tangled with pet hair. Brushes adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with carpets and hard floors.
Cleaning Brush: Both are equipped with a cleaning brush that has detachable tips and is easier to clean since hair mostly gets clogged around the edges. In addition, the newest brush has 250% more bristles providing a better pickup.
Ability to Mop the floor: Both devices can only sweep and vacuum
With 2210 mAh Lithium-Ion, Roomba i4 can operate for about 100 minutes and takes 120 minutes to charge. Roomba i8 uses a Lithium-Ion battery with a capacity of 2210mAh that can work for about 90 minutes and takes 120 minutes to fully charge.
If both vacuums don’t finish all the work on a single charge, it will automatically return to the charging dock. Resume intends that the robot will resume from where it left off after charging is complete. This feature is perfect for large households where the robot cannot clean the entire house on a single charge
Unlike robots that don’t have a map and move randomly until the battery runs out, Roomba navigates efficiently. It moves back and forth in straight lines methodically covering the cleaning area based on the map it generates.
Roomba i4 uses an iAdapt 2.0 sensor to map your home layout; the Roomba i8 uses a camera sensor. The camera suffers in dark rooms.
Roomba i4 cannot store maps in memory. Roomba i8 can store 10 different maps in memory.
The Roomba i4 only has basic scheduling features. You can only schedule it to work at a specific time and day of the week.
Roomba i8 has an advanced scheduling feature. After mapping, you can divide the map into separate regions and give each area a name. With this feature, you can schedule cleaning by area, no-go zone, selected room cleaning, schedule, etc.
Roomba i4 does not have a digital virtual wall creation feature but you can buy an additional virtual wall barrier to create a no-go zone.. meanwhile, Roomba i8 is equipped with a digital virtual wall creation feature that helps create a no-clean zone, Zoned cleaning.
Zoned cleaning: the robot cleans within a particular zone
No-Go zone: keeps the Roomba off some zones
Room cleaning: can be ordered (or scheduled) to clean in a certain room or two.
Roomba i8 can control it manually like a car radio.
If you need the device to go to a specific spot, you can use the app remote control and manage its movements by sending it where you want to. Also, with the «Target Point» option you can tap on the map, and the robot will go to that place. Much easier than using the remote control.
You can also control the two robot vacuums by setting voice prompts through Amazon Alexa Support and Google Assistant Assistant.
When Roomba finishes cleaning, you can view the results in the cleaning history. Both cannot be tracked in real-time, you cannot see its location while the robot is vacuuming.
Quick Rundown Of iRobot Roomba i4
- 20% LARGER BATTERY – Larger battery for extended runtime. Compared to Roomba i3/i3+ Robot Vacuum
- POWERFUL CLEANING—SCHEDULED AROUND YOUR LIFE - Whether you’re relaxing at home or out enjoying life, the Roomba i4+ EVO robot vacuum takes care of stubborn dirt and messes with a Premium 3-Stage Cleaning System and 10x the Power-Lifting Suction*. *Compared to the Roomba 600 series cleaning system
- CLEAN BY ROOM, YOU’RE IN CONTROL - Roomba i4+ EVO learns your home and creates an Imprint Smart Map so you can direct it to clean any room you want, any time you want—either on a set schedule or in the moment.
- DON’T LIFT A FINGER FOR MONTHS - Now you can forget about vacuuming for months at a time with the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal that allows the i4+ EVO to empty itself into an enclosed bag that captures 99% of particles as small as .7 microns and holds up to 60 days of cleanings.
- PRECISION CLEANING IN TIDY ROWS - The robot vacuum cleans intelligently in straight lines back and forth, to thoroughly clean your floors while navigating around furniture. When the i4+ EVO needs to recharge, it will resume right where it left off ensuring a complete clean.
Quick Rundown Of iRobot Roomba i8
- CLEANS UP AFTER YOU, AND ITSELF - Forget about vacuuming for months at a time with the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal that allows the i7 to empty itself for up to 60 days.
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE AND POWERFUL PICK-UP - Pulls in stubborn and messes with a Premium 3-Stage Cleaning System and 10X the Power-Lifting Suction. (Compared to the Roomba 600 series cleaning system)
- GUIDED BY SERIOUS SMARTS - With vSLAM navigation, the i7 learns the layout of your home and builds personal Smart Maps, enabling it to expertly clean and navigate in neat, efficient rows.
- VACUUMS MESSES IN THE MOMENT - Cleaning crumbs is now as easy as “Roomba, clean under the kitchen table.” A simple request to your voice assistant* or via the iRobot Home app enables the i7 to clean messes for you, right when they happen.
- COMPLETE CONTROL OF YOUR CLEAN - With Smart Mapping, your robot knows your kitchen from your living room, so you can decide where it cleans and when. With Keep Out Zones, your robot knows to avoid sensitive areas like pet bowls or play areas.