Further down the page, you’ll find some explanations regarding the key similarities and differences between the iRobot Roomba S9 and the iRobot Roomba S9+.
But before checking out explanations regarding their design, cleaning performance, battery, and feature, here’s a table that summarizes the main technical summary sheet for these 2 robot vacuums:
Looking at the specs sheet, the Roomba S9 and Roomba S9+ differ only in the charging dock.
The S9+ uses a charging station that can empty the trash can when the robot docks. The S9 uses a Home Base charging station that doesn’t empty the collection bin.
Roomba S9 and Roomba S9+ both measure 12.25 x 12.25 x 3.5 inches and weigh 8.2 pounds.
Cleaning Performance Comparison
Both have a suction power of 2200 Pa and a noise level of 65 dba.
+ Robot’s ability to walk:
Both have a cleaning area of 200 square meters.
Thanks to the 20 mm (0.78 in) climbing ability, both of them are suitable for thicker carpets and can easily overpass a door threshold (if below 2 cm).
iRobot Roomba S9 and Roomba S9+ both have dirt detection sensors. It is a system that recognizes high-traffic spots making a cleaner go over these zones a few times until it is clean
Both robots are equipped with a bunch of sensors that prevent bumping into things, falling, and keeping them at a distance of 10 mm from walls and furniture.
+ Dirt treatment:
iRobot Roomba S9 and S9+ both have a waste bin capacity of 500 ml.
When the dustbin inside the Roomba S9+ gets full, the robot vacuum returns to the charging dock, the base sucks up the debris from the container. When the Roomba is done emptying, it returns to continue cleaning. The base holds up to 30 robot’s bins, so you don’t have to empty it for about a month.
The Roomba S9 can’t empty itself when it’s filled with dirt, it will stop cleaning and notify you when the bin needs emptying.
The Roomba S9 has been designed to work with iRobot’s Auto Clean Base® technology. But then it doesn’t come with the Clean Base® Automatic Dirt Handler, so you’ll have to buy it separately.
Under the lids of both dustbins, there is a HEPA filter that makes the robot safe for people with allergies and asthma. Both filters are removable and washable.
+ Ability to vacuum and sweep:
Carpet boost: Roomba S9 and Roomba S9+ have a sensor that can recognize carpets. When the vacuum is on the carpet, its suction power is increased to the maximum level automatically cleaning deeper.
Side brush: Both have a side brush made of rubber.
Cleaning Brush: Both are equipped with a cleaning brush that has detachable tips and is easier to clean since hair mostly gets clogged around the edges. In addition, the newest brush has 250% more bristles providing a better pickup.
Unique Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes don’t get tangled with pet hair. Brushes adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with carpets and hard floors.
+ Ability to clean the floor:
Both vacuum cleaners can only suck and sweep. If you need mopping, combine with the Braava Jet M6
Both Roomba has 3300 mAh battery capacity, can operate for 120 minutes, and take 240 minutes to fully charge.
If both vacuums don’t finish all the work on a single charge, it will automatically return to the charging dock. Resume intends that the robot will resume from where it left off after charging is complete. This feature is perfect for large households where the robot cannot clean the entire house on a single charge
Unlike robots that don’t have a map and move randomly until the battery runs out, Roomba navigates efficiently. It moves back and forth in straight lines methodically covering the cleaning area based on the map it generates.
The Roomba S9 and Roomba S9+ both use camera sensors to map the layout of your home. The camera suffers in dark rooms.
Both can store 10 different maps in memory.
+ Schedule activities
Both robot vacuums have an advanced scheduling feature. After mapping, you can divide the map into separate regions and give each region a name. With this feature, you can schedule cleaning by area, no-go zone, selected room cleaning, schedule, etc.
Thanks to the digital virtual wall creation feature, both robot vacuums can create no-clean zones, clean zone compartments, no-clean zones.
Digital blockers.: If there is a room that might not be ready for cleaning or a zone where you have cords, etc., you can set an unlimited amount of digital blocked areas and no-go lines. Once you have done it, the robot would not cross it. You can create a zone by drawing a rectangle or setting the tape (no-go line) on a place you don’t want the robot to cross.
Clean area With this option, you can create a rectangle on the map to make the robot work in the selected area.
The selected housekeeping completes the cleaning, it will generate a map divided into separate rooms. You can merge or split the area as you like if you don’t like the way the robot did.
No-Mop Zones: It’s similar to no-go zones, except this option only works when mopping attachments are enabled. It keeps the robot away from carpeted areas so that the vacuum will avoid them when mopping.. this is suitable for machines with water tanks.
Manually control it like a radio car. If you need the device to go to a specific spot, you can use the app remote control and manage its movements by sending it where you want to. Also, with the «Target Point» option you can tap on the map, and the robot will go to that place. Much easier than using the remote control.
Additionally, you can control the two robot vacuums by setting voice prompts through Amazon Alexa Support and Google Assistant Assistant.
+ Activity tracking
When Roomba finishes cleaning, you can view the results in the cleaning history. Both cannot be tracked in real-time, you cannot see its location while the robot is vacuuming.
Quick Rundown Of iRobot Roomba S9
- OUR MOST ADVANCED CLEAN - You—and your home—deserve the best. With groundbreaking technology and a sophisticated design, the s9 is our smartest, most powerful robot vacuum yet.
- DEEPEST CLEAN - With 40x the suction power, the superior 3-Stage Cleaning System lifts, loosens, then eliminates debris and pet hair from deep within your carpets. Automatically increases suction to clean even deeper with power boost technology.
- DETAILED POWERFUL CLEAN - PerfectEdge Technology with advanced sensors and a specially designed Corner Brush optimize cleaning deep into corners and along edges. Ideal for homes with pets. 30% wider Dual Rubber Brushes don't get tangled with pet hair.
- GUIDED BY SERIOUS SMARTS - With vSLAM navigation, the s9 learns the layout of your home and builds personal Smart Maps, enabling it to expertly clean and navigate in neat, efficient rows.
- VACUUMS MESSES IN THE MOMENT - Cleaning crumbs is now as easy as “Roomba, clean under the kitchen table.” A simple request to your voice assistant or via the iRobot Home app enables the s9 to clean messes for you, right when they happen.
Quick Rundown Of iRobot Roomba S9+
- OUR MOST ADVANCED CLEAN - You—& your home—deserve the best. With groundbreaking technology & a sophisticated design, the s9+ is our smartest, most powerful robot vacuum yet.
- DEEPEST CLEAN - With 40X the suction power, the superior 3-Stage Cleaning System lifts, loosens, then eliminates debris & pet hair from deep within your carpets. Increases suction to clean even deeper into carpets with power boost technology.
- DETAILED POWERFUL CLEAN - PerfectEdge Technology with advanced sensors & a specially designed Corner Brush optimize cleaning deep into corners & along edges. Ideal for homes with pets. 30% wider Dual Rubber Brushes don't get tangled with pet hair.
- GUIDED BY SERIOUS SMARTS - With vSLAM navigation, the s9+ learns the layout of your home & builds personal Smart Maps, enabling it to expertly clean & navigate in neat, efficient rows. If it’s running low on battery, it recharges & resumes cleaning.
- VACUUMS MESSES IN THE MOMENT - Cleaning crumbs is now as easy as “Roomba, clean under the kitchen table.” A simple request to your voice assistant* or via the iRobot Home app enables the s9+ to clean messes for you, right when they happen.